Subject: Write back support of MAKEDEV in init
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/27/2002 20:08:08
Hello

Let me explain what do I want to do first. I want to mount / as read-only; though
/dev needs to be read-write in some cases (when I do a ssh, it needs to change
tty ownerships in /dev). The solution that comes to my mind is to use a /dev mfs
mounted. Although, a 'MAKEDEV all' is really slow on that computer, around 7
minutes, so I may trim the all target to only generate devices I really need.

The problem is that I would have to edit the on-disk MAKEDEV file. Any changes I
may want to do later will be impossible, afaik. If I umount /dev to edit MAKEDEV,
the system will crash because device files will disappere.

What I propose is the following: allow init to store the mfs-MAKEDEV again in the
disk if it has been modified. This way, I would edit the memory MAKEDEV and then
let init store it on the disk again when I shutted down. Another solution would
be to use a MAKEDEV script (copy it to the mfs) that is not inside /dev...

What do you think?

Thanks

--
HispaBSD admin - http://www.HispaBSD.org