Subject: Re: Perl 5.8-to-be NetBSD testing?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/27/2002 22:18:31
On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 02:15:11PM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Martin Weber wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 08:18:19PM +0300, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> > > - download
> > > - unpack (unpacks to perl/)
> > > - cd perl && sh Configure -des -Dusedevel
> > > - make all test
> >
> > Success with minor twiddling on 1.5 & -current on i386, I mailed jhi
> > all stuff which went wrong / the patches/tweaks I need (basically a
> > lacking -Wl,-R /usr/pkg/lib when building, and a not properly propagated
> > -lgdbm in ext/GDBM_File, had to tweak Makefile by hand).
>
> Should "gdbm" be required to build and run perl? Maybe it would be

It's not *required* to build and run perl.  What now happens is that
the configuration process of Perl *detects* gdbm if it is installed,
but then the build process of Perl fails to properly build the
(shared, dynamic) glue library between Perl and gdbm.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen