Subject: Re: More (i386) build lossage
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/26/2002 17:26:01
On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, der Mouse wrote:

: I created /usr/obj, and then the build got to the point of telling me
:
: ===> WARNING: Building to /.
: ===> If your kernel is not up to date, this may cause the system to break!
:
: which I'd forgotten about.  So I went to /usr/src/usr.sbin/config and
: tried to "make dependall" there.  This fell over complaining about
: something in /usr/src/tools/obj not existing.  So I went to
: /usr/src/tools and did a "make dependall".  When it was done, I went
: back to .../config and did the make dependall again.  It died again,
: complaining
:
: /usr/src/tools/obj/tools.NetBSD-1.5ZC-i386/bin/nbmkdep: not found

If your system is significantly old, this will be your easiest route:

./build.sh -t

This builds only a full toolchain, which will also be used for the full
build once your system has a new kernel.  Then cd to the kernel conf
directory and run:

$TOOLDIR/bin/nbconfig

and in the kernel compile directory:

$TOOLDIR/bin/nbmake-$MACHINE

substituting $TOOLDIR and $MACHINE appropriately.  If you are using the
implied TOOLDIR setting rather than setting it explicitly, look in the
objdir of src/tools/; there should be a "tools.$HOSTMACHINE" there, and that
path is the value of $TOOLDIR.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/