Subject: Re: build.sh failure?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/26/2002 17:23:12
On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, der Mouse wrote:

: But then, along about when I'd expect it to be done, it fell over:
:
: cc  -O -D_PATH_DEFSHELLDIR="/bin" -DHAVE_SETENV=1 -DHAVE_STRDUP=1 -DHAVE_STRERROR=1 -DHAVE_STRFTIME=1 -DHAVE_VSNPRINTF=1  -DMAKE_BOOTSTRAP -I/usr/src/tools/make/../../usr.bin/make -c /usr/src/tools/make/../../usr.bin/make/lst.lib/lstSucc.c
: cc  -O -o nbmake *.o
: BSDOBJDIR /usr/obj does not exist, bailing...
: *** Error code 1

: Why is it trying to use /usr/obj without either my telling it to or its
: creating it?  Did I miss some option somewhere, or am I supposed to
: have to create /usr/obj to do a full build, or is something broken?

BSDSRCDIR defaults to /usr/src.  If that path matches the front of $PWD, you
get the Magical BSDOBJDIR handling (and you have to create /usr/obj my hand
as a sanity check to make sure you really want this type of objdir
handling).

This has been around for ~years, so unfortunately, its functionality cannot
simply be yanked.  However, if you don't want to use the /usr/src->/usr/obj
rewrite, simply set:

BSDSRCDIR=/nonexistent

in mk.conf and it will never match.  Yes, I know it's a hack.  8-)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/