Subject: Re: [netbsd]: bin/11047: newgrp is missing
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Tim Bandy <bandy@timn8r.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/26/2002 11:55:38
    Christos>  In article <20020426015433.7ABB1AC@proven.weird.com>,
    Christos> Greg A. Woods <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG> wrote:
    >> [ On Thursday, April 25, 2002 at 23:18:40 (GMT), Christos
    >> Zoulas wrote: ]
    >>> Subject: Re: bin/11047: newgrp is missing
    >>>
    >>> Nothing, that is why it was removed. It is actually a security
    >>> issue to resurrect the password field in /etc/group.
    >>  what security issue is that?
    Christos>  needing a master.group file so that we don't have
    Christos> password cookies word readable is one thing.
    Christos>
    Christos> christos

Hmmm.  Thanks for all of the constructive feedback.  I just have a
couple of questions:

1) Can the PR be annotated to reflect this, then?  I didn't
realize that group passwords were going to be a security issue.

2) Is newgrp worth pursuing, then, based upon this and other feedback?

3) Does anyone of any suggestions as to where I can best apply my time
   to contribute to NetBSD?  I've read the contribution guidelines,
   and unfortunately I don't have any money to offer.  If not, I'll
   just go back to reading PRs and see if there is another that I
   might be able to "fix" :)

--
Tim Bandy (bandy@timn8r.org)

Excellent day for putting Slinkies on an escalator.
		-- fortune