Subject: Re: bin/11047: newgrp is missing
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/25/2002 21:56:49
[ On Thursday, April 25, 2002 at 18:33:29 (-0600), Rick Kelly wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: bin/11047: newgrp is missing
>
> Ben Harris said:
>
> >bin/11047 gives some suggestions.  If nothing else, POSIX.2-1992 has it as
> >part of the User Portability option, which we largely support.
>
> The downside is this:
>
> I was working as an admin in a Solaris shop. They had been using CVS for
> software development. The suits decided to switch to a commercial alternative
> that had it's group named embedded in the binary. I now had 50 developers
> typing "newgrp" all day long. They didn't like it and I heard about it daily.

Typing 'newgrp' all day long is a lot better (on all fronts) than typing
'su' and a password!

As for that shop's particular usage of newgrp, well that speaks volumes
of why people think security is annoying and it speaks volumes about the
misguided and mis-informed intentions of the CVS administrator too.  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods