Subject: Re: post-installation and rc.d enhancements
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/20/2002 01:20:01
Greg Woods writes:
>What I am proposing keeps _all_ parts of third-party rc.d scripts
>compatible with (and indeed identical to) their current form and allows
>third-party developers to maintain one single script for NetBSD that'll
>be identical regardless of whether it would be integrated directly into
>the base system, or whether it's installed via pkg in some arbitrary
>$LOCALBASE, or whether it's installed manually by the end user in
>/usr/local or /opt, or whatever.

The above are all very worthy goals and I agree it would be nice to
satisfy them.  I didn't have time to wade through your proposal - so
I won't comment as to whether it meets the criteria stated above,
but I agree the criteria are worth meeting.

I used to like the fact that I could write a start/stop script that
would "just work" on SunOS, Solaris, HP-UX and NetBSD.  That's not the case
now - we should not make it worse.

--sjg