Subject: Re: post-installation and rc.d enhancements
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/18/2002 20:18:12
On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 10:40:53AM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> The only way I can see to make package rc.d scripts work is if all of the
> defaults script foo needs are in files that come only with package foo
> (other than the global "YES" that is needed to turn script foo on).

Maybe eveb the presence of the installed script is enough to turn
it on - what you actually need is a method of turning it off.

Also, probably worth remembering how far through the startup
scripts a system has got - so if one locks up a reboot doesn't
always jam at the same place.

> Anything else and we open ourselves up to a migration nightmare.

Absolutely....

I've done enough commercial package install/remove/startup
scripts to have seen most of the pitfalls.

(try bringing up Solaris 2.5 when /etc/netconfig is trashed!)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk