Subject: Re: post-installation and rc.d enhancements
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/18/2002 13:14:51
On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> > 1) Every rc.d script (package, base, local) gets a pre-amble that
> >    includes the comment, and the type of variable (yes/no, flags,
> >    arbitrary string).
>
> I think that's the only way we'll keep all of this under control. :-)
>
> > 2) We create a utility, to live in "/usr/sbin", that generates
> >    "/etc/defaults/rc.conf" and "/etc/defaults/sushi-rcconf" from
> >    the information embedded in the scripts in "/etc/rc.d", and run
> >    it from "pkg_add", or base system "make install" (it'll have to
> >    be a host tool) or pkgsrc "make install" (when necessary)?
>
> I like the idea. My vote though would be to have different defaults for
> the different namespaces. the pkg and local ones would need to be rebuilt
> on the fly on a machine, but the "system" one, I think, should be built as
> part of the system build and not changed on a running system. That way you
> get a set of scripts *and* the defaults for those scripts together, and
> you leave them alone until you next upgrade. :-)

That might be fine for the defaults (though it shouldn't be
necessary). There were objections voiced to having multiple defaults
files, and sushi is reportedly dumb with regards to including multiple
"forms" files, so you'd still want to parse all the scripts for it,
and separating the two functions makes it possible (likely), that a
user will forget to do one or the other after added a local_ script.

Frederick