Subject: Re: post-installation and rc.d enhancements
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/18/2002 10:32:31
On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> we don't have to edit the file -- we can just re-install the whole file
> with each package that has an rc.d script.

No!  Please don't do that!

People keep old binary packages lying around, and expect to be able to
reinstall them later (perhaps to downgrade after a bad experience with
a newer version of the package).  The old binary package would not know
about the new variables in the monolithic config file.

Other people might want to install binary packages from the NetBSD ftp
site as well as their own private packages, but the "official" binary
packages will not know about variables needed by the private packages.

--apb (Alan Barrett)