Subject: Re: post-installation and rc.d enhancements
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/18/2002 15:53:58
On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 01:23:48AM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
  | [ On Thursday, April 18, 2002 at 00:05:34 (+1000), Luke Mewburn wrote: ]
  | > 	+ Base system configuration comes from "/etc/rc.conf"
  | > 	  (and any other files sourced by that file)
  | >
  | > 	+ Per application configuration comes from "/etc/rc.conf.d/$name",
  | > 	  where $name is the argument that the script calls
  | > 	  load_rc_config() with.
  |
  | What happens to /etc/defaults/rc.conf?

Nothing changes.  /etc/defaults/rc.conf still provides defaults for
NetBSD base rc.d scripts, and it's sourced in by /etc/rc.conf (unless
the user chooses to remove the sourcing, which they're free to do so).
The optional `/etc/rc.conf.d/foo' provides overrides for variables AND
shell implementation for the service `foo'.

As for the namespace issue; there will never be a perfect solution to
this problem; in the end a one solution needs to be chosen over
another, and that is bound to offend the "opposing supporters".

I feel that what we've currently got, coupled with the specific namespace
protection that I've proposed (which people have asked for in one form
or another for a while), provides a simple yet flexible solution to an
outstanding problem.

We are trying to provide the best approach for a majority of our users,
whilst allowing people with differing requirements (such as yourself)
the ability to change their systems in a manner that suits their
personal needs.  The advantage of an operating system with source is
you're free to change your system how you see fit.

Luke.

--
Luke Mewburn  <lukem@wasabisystems.com>  http://www.wasabisystems.com
Luke Mewburn     <lukem@netbsd.org>      http://www.netbsd.org