Subject: Re: CVS commit: sharesrc/share/sushi/system/rcconf
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/08/2002 17:40:57
On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Tim Rightnour wrote:

> On 02-Apr-02 Simon Burge wrote:
> > I haven't really looked at the sushi forms, but can they be somehow
> > auto-generated from the /etc/defaults files?
>
> A few people have asked this in the past.  The answer is yes and no.
>
> Concievably, it would not be difficult to autogenerate sushi's rcconf form
> file.  Until sushi had the ability to generate it's forms on the fly, this
> could be a commit-regen task not unlike the pcidevs.  The problem is more
> complex than that however, because sushi needs a description of each line.  So,
> lets compare two areas of the files to explain myself better:
>
> accounting=NO                                   # uses /var/account/acct
> newsyslog=NO            newsyslog_flags=""      # trim log files
>
> script:script1,accounting       Start accounting?
> script:script1,newsyslog        Run newsyslog?
> escript:15,script2,newsyslog_flags      Flags to pass newsyslog
>
> In order to auto-generate that, the defaults/rc.conf file will have to be
> regulated into a specific format.  Free form comments would likely interfere
> with the keywords needed to generate sushi's description of each line.
>
> Quite frankly, I'm not ready to intrude on the base system to that degree just
> yet.

How about this idea:

The sushi build scans the config file(s) and etc/defaults/rc.conf and
errors if there is something in etc/defaults/rc.conf that isn't in the
sushi configs. That way if the build works, sushi works.

I think a few sed scripts and sort should be able to do this.

Heh, you could even add the check code in src/etc, so that a make in there
complains. :-)

Take care,

Bill