Subject: Re: VERY strange command-line syntax for 'df -t'
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/08/2002 13:25:52
[ On Monday, April 8, 2002 at 12:43:21 (+0100), Ben Harris wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: VERY strange command-line syntax for 'df -t'
>
> I think that SUSv2, and SUSv3 with XSI extensions, being the spiritual
> successors of Spec 1170, should probably be considered similarly exempt from
> being implemented in NetBSD.

This isn't an extension in SuSv2.  It's been this way since at least 1997.

(and of course it's been in UNIX since at least the early 1980's)

> It's not as if the semantics of "df -t" are actually _specified_:
>
>     [XSI] [Option Start] The output format is unspecified when -t is used.
>     [Option End]

All that means is you can't be sure which column the total allocated
space figure will appear in.  Smart people and parsers will look at the
header to figure this out.....

--
								Greg A. Woods