Subject: Re: Termcap in $TERMCAP broken?
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/15/2002 14:16:02
>> [1.4T: termcap entry in $TERMCAP, name in $TERM, works.
>> 1.5.3_ALPHA, doesn't.  File name in $TERMCAP works on both.]
> suid/sgid programs should and do ignore env variables to prevent
> buffer overflows.  top was still setgid at 1.5.3 IIRC.

Except (a) it can't ignore $TERM and/or $TERMCAP and still "work", and
(b) it doesn't ignore $TERMCAP, or changing $TERMCAP to a filename
instead of the termcap entry wouldn't've changed anything.  (And it
quite definitely doesn't ignore $TERM.)

I just checked, and top is sgid on the 1.4T machine but is not set-id
of either sort on the 1.5.3_ALPHA machine.  This makes it even more
baffling to me, as it runs directly counter to (the implications of)
what you said.  Now I _really_ don't understand what's going on.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign