Subject: audio utils: device flag -d vs. -f
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jaromir.dolecek@artisys.cz>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/25/2002 10:47:28
Hi,
I've noted that mixerctl, audioctl, audio{play|record} use different
flag to set device to operate upon. The interface should be consistant
IMHO.

I think that -d of audio{play|record} is better and more sensible than -f
of mixerctl/audioctl.  FWIW, Solaris uses -d in its mixerctl.

So, I propose change to mixerctl/audioctl to use -d flag
instead of -f. Even through this flag is not used very often,
it might probably make sense to keep support for the -f flag as well
for compatibility (though it won't be documented anymore).

Opinions?

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jaromir.dolecek@artisys.cz>
ARTISYS, s.r.o., Stursova 71, 61600 Brno, Czech Republic