Subject: Re: workaround for pkg/14051
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/23/2002 06:53:19
	YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp> said:

> - make symlinks(like de_DE.ISO8859-1 -> de) in /usr/share/nls.

Hmmm. I'm not sure whether symlink is the right way or not to solve
the locale alias problem.

I personally prefer alias configuration file to symbolic link, because
configuration file can centralize the alias configuration, when there
are several hierarchies for locale related database
(e.g. /usr/share/nls/XXX and /usr/pkg/share/nls/XXX).
If we use symbolic link to resolve locale alias, we have to have
several symbolic links for one alias in this case.
Although symbolic link is much simpler mechanism than alias
configuration file...

> - give the precedence to LC_ALL environment variable.  - implement
> NL_CAT_LOCALE and use it for strerror and strsignal.

Great, thanks!
--
soda