Subject: /dev and booting from non-ffs filesystems
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/13/2002 17:54:14
Folks,

I've just submitted 2 PRs relating to init's ability to mount_mfs and run
MAKEDEV.

These are:

    bin/15235 init's mount_mfs call fails to reserve sufficient
              inodes
    bin/15236 init will only create an mfs /dev on an msdos root
              filesystem

The first one is just a treatment of bit-rot which leaves MAKEDEV running
out of inodes on i386, and is just a case of upping the size of the mfs,
and increasing the inode density. See the PR for the patch.

The second is equally simple, but may require some discussion, hence why I
have submitted 2 separate PRs.

At the moment, init does an strcmp to see if the root filesystem is of
type "msdos". As I'm playing with root on a CDROM, "cd9660" != "msdos".
After checking the filesystem name, init goes on to check that
/dev/console does not exist.

I *think* that checking for /dev/console existing should be sufficient -
if /dev/console does not exist, it would be reasonable to assume that
creating it in an mfs filesystem would be helpful. The second PR contains
a patch to remove the check for msdos. I would appreciate any thoughts on
this.

Note that this behaviour is conditional on a compile time option,
MSDOSFS_ROOT, which appears to be *enabled* by default.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget