Subject: Re: Allowing ${name}_path to be set in "rc.conf", was Re: Keeping /etc/defaults and /etc/rc.d in-sync
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/09/2002 17:24:09
On May 27, 11:45am, Andrew Brown wrote:
}
} >     I would certainly support this option.  Ultimately, I would like
} >to see a copy of the contents of /etc/defaults stashed somewhere (i.e.
} >/etc/origs), and then have /etc/defaults moved back to /etc (I really
} >hate that scheme and it is one of the biggest things I hate about
} >SysV).  Once this is done, updates could be done by doing a three way
} >merge between old /etc/origs, old /etc, and new /etc/origs.
}
} the whole point of having a /etc/defaults directory and then a layer
} above that people can wreck is that systemic upgrades *won't* require
} a three-way merge.  i like it the way it is.  i guess we'll have to

     What is wrong with a three way merge?

     I don't like it the way it is.  It means that I have to look in
multiple places to find out how the system startup is configured.  That
is one of the things I really hate about SysV.

} disagree.  :-/

     I guess so.

}-- End of excerpt from Andrew Brown