Subject: Re: RFC: migration to a fully dynamically linked system
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/05/2002 13:38:56
On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 12:16:11PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> The conclusion I can draw from this is that, in order to have reliable
> dynamic loading support in /bin and /sbin, the binaries must both be
> (a) dynamic, and (b) linked against the shared libc.

Is there any reliability gain in linking those binaries statically
against libc and then linking them dynamically against libc? The
idea is that if libc.so is corrupted then everything will still
work fine unless they actually try to do a dlopen().
           On the community of supercomputer fans:
"But what we lack in size we make up for in eccentricity."
  from Steve Gombosi, comp.sys.super, 31 Jul 2000 11:22:43 -0600