Subject: Re: Allowing ${name}_path to be set in "rc.conf", was Re: Keeping /etc/defaults and /etc/rc.d in-sync
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/04/2002 02:44:11
On May 22, 11:30am, Robert Elz wrote:
}
}   | And how do you suggest the build do that without storing original copies
}   | somewhere they won't be edited (eg. /etc/defaults/rc.d/*) so they can be
}   | compared with the active copies in /etc/rc.d?
}
} I didn't suggest that that could be done without doing that did I?
}
} That's certainly an option (all the standard rc.d scripts together total
} of the order of 100KB - a trivial volume).

     I would certainly support this option.  Ultimately, I would like
to see a copy of the contents of /etc/defaults stashed somewhere (i.e.
/etc/origs), and then have /etc/defaults moved back to /etc (I really
hate that scheme and it is one of the biggest things I hate about
SysV).  Once this is done, updates could be done by doing a three way
merge between old /etc/origs, old /etc, and new /etc/origs.

}-- End of excerpt from Robert Elz