Subject: Re: Allowing ${name}_path to be set in "rc.conf", was Re: Keeping /etc/defaults and /etc/rc.d in-sync
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/30/2001 16:53:21
>What's more, NetBSD currently (seems to) recognise this - ntpdate and
>named are unordered with respect to each other in rc.d - so you kind of
>get random choice as to which will start first.   That is, unless broken
>by some other tie breaker - which appears (without going to study the code
>in rcorder again) to be the lexical ordering of the names (ie: named comes
>immediately before ntpdate in my system's startup order).

I wish we'd just kept things simple and done the "ugly" init.d and links to
rc.d/S*foo trick.  Of course, rcorder et al is better than not having
start/stop scripts at all.  But we probably wouldn't be having this thread
with the init.d model since you can customize the S*foo scripts all you like
without needing to be hurt by an update to init.d/*

--sjg