Subject: Re: Keeping /etc/defaults and /etc/rc.d in-sync
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/28/2001 11:30:41
>> >We've been through all this before, as a search over the tech-pkg
>> >archives would show. The only new thing here, is my idea to permit
>> >changing the path in "/etc/rc.conf". What's wrong with that?
>>
>> not much, except you don't need it.  for the past 18 months you could
>> have used /etc/rc.conf.d for that.
>
>No you couldn't. The question is, whether the syntax of "rc.conf"
>should be extended to permit changing the path *to* *the*
>*executable*, in order to make custom rc.d scripts unnecessary.

lemme try this again.  since its first revision, the sshd script (for
example) has contained a line that said

	command="/..."

for some value of "...".  then, in june of last year, support for
rc.conf.d was added to rc.subr so that individual rc.d scripts could
have individual files in rc.conf.d as an alternative to settings in
rc.conf.  it can also be used to set, eg, the value of the command
variable, so that you can run an *alternate* version of something...
perhaps something you installed yourself or got from pkgsrc.

in the face of this, i can't see how allowing *further* settings in
rc.conf is necessary.  at least involving the command.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|