Subject: Re: Keeping /etc/defaults and /etc/rc.d in-sync
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/27/2001 05:43:37
On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Greywolf wrote:

>     ntpd=YES	ntpd_path="$LOCALBASE/bin/ntpd"
>
>     This in case LOCALBASE ever gets redefined and migrated.  Not likely,
>     but possible.
>
> # You could just set those in "/etc/rc.conf", like near the bottom,
> # perhaps, and they'd be expanded when the file is sourced. Like so:
> #
> # # Put your overrides for installed packages here:
> # #
> # LOCALBASE=/usr/pkg
> # X11PREFIX=/usr/X11R6
> # #named=YES	named_path="${LOCALBASE}/bin/named"	named_flags=""
> # #xdm=YES	xdm_path="${X11PREFIX}/bin/kdm"		xdm_flags=""
> #
>
> However, then you have to keep mk.conf and rc.conf in sync, hence the
> reason behind my suggestion.

I'm not sure I understand your suggestion. You want "rc.subr" to parse
"/etc/mk.conf"? What happens when the user installs a binary package?
I don't see how that's necessary. Once you get it down to only having
one line in "/etc/rc.conf" to edit per daemon, it just doesn't get any
easier.

I'm with you on "/etc/rc.conf.d", by the way. All we need are a few
examples in "rc.conf", and some scripts for which the pkgsrc version
is kept in sync with the base version, and the user can figure it out.

Frederick