Subject: Re: RFC: migration to a fully dynamically linked system
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/26/2001 10:17:39
[By the way, apologies for the bounced mail last night -- I'm attempting
 something that I thought I knew how to do but it's not working...]

Rules on physical access:

	If the person has physical access to the console, security
	becomes difficult.

	If the person has physical access to the *machine*, security
	approaches impossible.

The only way to retain functionality and security in the described
scenario would be to hack a password input scheme into the kernel.
Once you do that, its weaknesses will be exploited ("we need better
password protection at boot time" and so on) and the kernel will
begin to grow.