Subject: Re: RFC: migration to a fully dynamically linked system
To: None <xs@kittenz.org>
From: None <cgd@broadcom.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/21/2001 10:43:45
At Fri, 21 Dec 2001 16:24:10 +0000 (UTC), xs@kittenz.org wrote:
> What about a passwdfs, implemented in a similar way to portalfs? This could
> be set up in a way such that a binary that does authentication doesn't
> necessarily need to be s[gu]id or run as root.

and don't forget a localefs, etc. etc. etc.

"Then we could have all the stability and usability of portalfs in
_every program that uses libc_!  Yay!"  (Uh, sorry if it's gotten more
stable / 'better' recently, but it was so broken for so many years...)

Plus then you put extra garbage into the kernel.  and also you've got
the problem of needing the bloody FS mounted to do anything useful...

chris