Subject: Re: RFC: migration to a fully dynamically linked system
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/20/2001 23:45:19
>	csh ksh ls mv pax ps rcmd rcp rm sh mount* r?dump* fsck* init
>	halt *restore

mv?  fsck?  what for?

init?  i think it's fair to assume that the *only* thing that init
will be looking into that's in nsswitch.conf is the passwd map, and if
*init* is looking in the passwd map, then (a) the network may *not*
work, (b) it's only asking for root's password, and (c) root's
password should *always* be in /etc/passwd (or master.passwd or
spwd.db, etc).

>  3. Dynamically link everything against /lib

bsdi also has, in my experience, a /shlib directory with a few shared
libraries in it (but not ld.so or the like...weird), but i always
found it a little confusing and somewhat distasteful.

i think it's fair to say that i'm against it, but only because i've
been more than once severely @$^#$ed by solaris and the entire dynamic
linking world.  i *like* being able to use only a read-only / that
hasn't been fscked to fix stuff.  fwiw, solaris has

	/usr/sbin/static/cp
	/usr/sbin/static/ln
	/usr/sbin/static/mv
	/usr/sbin/static/rcp
	/usr/sbin/static/tar

for recovery, but i didn't find those until *much* later, and i was
very upset.  in fact, i'm still upset that they're on /usr where
they're probably not reachable if your /usr is borked.

i'm not gonna go into my master plan for ultimately recoverable
systems.  :)

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|