Subject: Re: Suggestion for changes to df(1) and du(1)
To: Tomas Svensson <tsn@gbdev.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/19/2001 18:39:28
  | Tomas Svensson <tsn@gbdev.net> writes:
  |
  | > Does anyone have an opinion about adding the flag -h to df(1) and du(1)?
  | > It would be to print the statistics in a more "human-readable" and
  | > compact style.

For what it is worth, there's nothing human readable about that style.
In fact, it is down right annoying ... not that I care, as I just won't
use the option.

To be human friendly, and easy to read and understand, bigger numbers
need to look bigger - that 100M is smaller than 20G isn't at all obvious
at first glance...

For any good output, all the numbers should be in the same scale, which is
what we get now of course.   To improve what we have, what should be done is
to look through all of the values that are to be printed, determine what
scale fits best (K M G ...) and then print everything in the same scale.
Even if that makes some numbers round down to 0, and others still have quite
a few digits.   Anyone who needs accuracy is going to use K (or blocks) anyway.

kre