Subject: Re: libc arch/*/gen cleanup
To: Klaus Klein <kleink@reziprozitaet.de>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/28/2001 20:29:34
Klaus Klein wrote:

> Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com> writes:
>
> > 	/* bytes for quiet NaN (IEEE single precision) */
> > 	const char __nanf[] __attribute__((__aligned__(__alignof__(single)))) =
>
> Presumably you mean 'float' here. :-)

"Oops"!

> BTW, I've also thought of
> solving this in a more portable way, i.e. making this a union
> consisting of float-type and char.

Yah, this would be better.  It also occurred to me after sending my
original message that it might be better using "unsigned char" since
about half the non-zero values are 0xff.  I can't see this causing
any problems anywhere...

> > To stop any hassles with finding the correct version, was thinking of
> > adding version in libc/gen all with "gen_" prefixes.
> >
> > Anyone see any problems with this?
>
> Conceptually fine with me; however, how about ieee754_ as the prefix,
> which seems more appropriate?

Sounds reasonable.

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/