Subject: Re: stdio FILE extension
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/21/2001 15:17:07
> SunOS 5.8 -> 5.9, as I understand it, will be going from ILP32 -> LP64
> userland.

Not exactly..

Solaris 8 userland is dual-ABI; libraries are generally available in
both ILP32 and LP64 models.  Most userland commands do not need to be
LP64, so they aren't.

To the best of my knowledge, this is not going to change in solaris 9.

Note that newer Sun *hardware* (UltraSPARC III and IIe) will only boot
LP64 *kernels*, but those kernels will run both ILP32 and LP64 apps.

On a related note, the solaris LP64 ABI for stdio has a completely
opaque FILE * -- a struct containing N longs -- while the ILP32 ABI
doesn't...

						- Bill