Subject: Re: don't remove ksh
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/20/2001 05:37:42
> Suppose I were to tell you that with proper manifest lists the total
> madness of relying on the instantaneous real-time view of the
> filesystem contents will go away so completely you'll never remember
> how mad you were to rely on it in the first place.

Suppose you were.  I'd ask you what on earth you're babbling about.

I'm not the original poster.  But I too want a clean separation in
terms of filesystem hierarchy between stuff that came right out of the
"make build" and stuff added later.

It is so infinitely easier to be able to say "that's in /usr/bin, it's
part of the stock system" or "that's in /local, it's an addon" than
"that's /usr/bin/foo, now let's see, okay, it's not in *this* manifest
list, it's not in *that* manifest list, oh, here, oops, no, that's
/usr/libexec/foo, muttergrumble about grep, try it with the full path,
ah, *here* it is, now does this manifest correspond to part of the
stock system, where did I put that list...".

Or even more significant, "okay, here's a newly installed stock system,
let's copy over /local" than "okay, here's a newly installed stock
system, now, okay, this grep pattern picks out the locally-added
manifest lists, now where's that sed expression to pick out just the
list of files...tar...what do you mean, ENOENT...".

>> If the hierarchies merge, I might as well use Linux for all the good
>> it'd do.

Amen!

> Once you have proper manifest lists of all the files that belong in
> your original virgin release then you don't need to over-load the use
> of hierarchies with conflicting meanings.

What conflicting meanings?

> Use hierarchies to separate files by their purpose, not their
> origin!!!!

I'll use hierarchies any way that's convenient to me, thankyouverymuch.
And keeping add-on stuff strictly separate from stock-system stuff has
been found to produce great convenience for me.

/etc hell is bad enough in /etc.  I'm not going to put up with that for
everything no matter _how_ insanely great you think I ought to think it
is.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign