Subject: Re: stdio FILE extension
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/19/2001 10:56:24
On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Robert Elz wrote:

:   | Remember too I (and kre, and I think greywolf, mcr, and others too) are
:   | still only talking about breaking such backwards compatability with
:   | MAJOR new releases, not minor ones.
:
: Most of us were suggesting that perhaps bumping the libc major number
: once, sometime not too far away (but not real soon either), might be possible.
: Only one of us was suggesting that this be done for no better reason than
: for fun.

Actually, libc.so.13 *did* exist.  It was the brokenness that ensued that
caused us to make the commitment to back down to .12 and stay there.  See
the CVS logs and mail-index.  It just won't happen again, at least for a
very long time -- and certainly not for any arbitrary "major release
number".

Sun found out the problems with bumping the libc major a long, long time ago
-- back in the SunOS days, even before Solaris.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/