Subject: Re: don't remove ksh
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/19/2001 08:18:48
On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 02:58:54PM -0700, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:

> >I believe someone mentioned removing ksh (really pdksh). I would appreciate
>
> I certainly would not.  Replacing pdksh with the real ksh is one thing
> (though I find pdksh's emacs mode better - but I'm biased), but removing
> ksh from the system would be unacceptable.

I'm sure NetBSD has been released without ksh in the past.  Ksh
presently needs to be in the base distribution because as a package
it would be hard to install as /bin/ksh.

/usr/pkg/bin/ksh just doesn't cut it.  Nor does /usr/local/bin/bash
which for a long time has been a bane to me.

I hope there's work being done to make the package system able to
install base programs.  In fact, the right approach would be to be
able to _uninstall_ base packages as a start.  That would go a long
way to unbloat NetBSD (no accusation intended - it _is_ an offer to
help).

++L