Subject: Re: obj.${MACHINE_ARCH}-${OBJECT_FMT}
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/19/2001 00:04:15
On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

:  > obj-netbsd1-sparc64
:  > obj-freebsd4-i386
:  > obj-sunos5-sun4u
:
: Ooh, I like that ... esp since it makes it more Cygwin compatible (no
: long names after the ".").

Cygwin actually doesn't care how many .'s there are or characters after the
., so long as it fits in the Win32 filename maximum.

I have this mostly implemented, and will commit it tomorrow after pruning a
few things.  It includes a change that will make a sane default for TOOLDIR
based on host and target platforms.

:  > for the tree that holds things that need to run on the build host, and
:  > currently MACHINE_ARCH etc is used to refer to the target system.
:  > Using explicit HOST_* and TARGET_* is a good idea.

There's no need for HOST_* and TARGET_*, actually.  That would probably only
introduce more confusion.  It's much simpler to use only MACHINE and
MACHINE_ARCH during the build, and identify the host where needed (as part
of the default TOOLDIR and the obj directories of src/tools).

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/