Subject: Re: undefinded PLT symbol with cyrus-sasl
To: Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org>
From: Ed Ravin <eravin@panix.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/18/2001 13:32:09
Nick Hudson writes:
> >    Oct 16 20:45:19 testhost lt-sample-client: unable to dlopen
> > /usr/lib/sasl/libdigestmd5.so: /usr/lib/sasl/libdigestmd5.so: Undefined PLT
> > symbol "des_ecb_encrypt" (reloc type = 7, symnum = 23)
> >
> > What exactly does this error mean? The symbol being complained
> > about is in libcrypto.so - why would this not get loaded the usual way?
>
> Not if the dependency information isn't included...
>
> $ ldd /usr/pkg/lib/sasl/libdigestmd5.so
> /usr/pkg/lib/sasl/libdigestmd5.so:
>          -lcrypto.0 => /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0

Aha, that must be the problem with my build, when I run ldd on the
library we compiled here, it has no dependencies.

> I don't understand why you don't just use pkgsrc.

We need to be able to rebuild any open-source package here with our
own changes (i.e. for local security patches or other customizations),
and we haven't found pkgsrc amenable to that.