Subject: Re: uucp pkg available for testing [was: Re: Proposal for new utility in base: bin/nc]
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/18/2001 12:50:42
On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 03:57:24AM -0600, Rick Kelly wrote:

> The pkg database format is still a work in progress. The system that I'm
> typing this on is running 1.4.3/i386. I downloaded pkgsrc to this machine
> back when it was "invented", and it was running NetBSD/i386 1.3. Since then
> the database and the tools have changed such that I can't really install
> packages any more as the database doesn't give a clear picture of what is
> installed on the system.

I cannot speak for the pkg people, but I'm sure that any base
packages could have a simplified installation procedure.  Certainly,
it would not require compiling from scratch.

That, at least, would be my approach.  May take some additional effort
to create, but would pay back handsomely when individual base packages
can be updated without further pain.

Dream on.

++L