Subject: Re: uucp pkg available for testing [was: Re: Proposal for new utility
To: None <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/18/2001 03:57:24
Lucio De Re said:

>Why should one consider pkg-install as any more special than tar?

Well, on some sun3, sparc 4/x and other boxes, sysinst just plain doesn't
work correctly. You have to populate a NFS boot, boot from the net. and
then do the install manually.

The pkg database format is still a work in progress. The system that I'm
typing this on is running 1.4.3/i386. I downloaded pkgsrc to this machine
back when it was "invented", and it was running NetBSD/i386 1.3. Since then
the database and the tools have changed such that I can't really install
packages any more as the database doesn't give a clear picture of what is
installed on the system.

The system that I chase -current on also has a problematic pkg database.

I've been running NetBSD on most of my machines since NetBSD 0.9a. It works
great and the only panics that I see are due to bad hardware. I would like to
keep running NetBSD on all of the platforms that it supports.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com