Subject: Re: Proposal for new utility in base: bin/nc
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Lasse =?iso-8859-1?Q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen <lhp@toft-hp.dk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/17/2001 21:47:13
At 19:00 +0200 17/10/01, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Alistair Crooks wrote:
>> If we can do all this with a 3-line perl script, then WTF has this
>> discussion gone on so long?
>
>And if we are discussing benefits of perl over nc, then WTF didn't anyone
>ask about including perl yet?! *duck&run*

I believe someone mentioned removing ksh (really pdksh). I would appreciate
that, especially if it could be arranged to also get David Korn's "real"
ksh into pkgsrc. Or put ksh93 into /bin -- after all, David Korn claims
that ksh93 is just as powerful as Perl, so who needs Perl anyway? For fans
of obfuscation I would suggest going straight to Malbolge or one of the
other languages specifically _designed_ to be unreadable -- at least until
Perl6 arrives.

-Lasse
(Whose head is still spinning after reading Damian Conway's Exegesis 3 on
perl.com the other day, hence the tumbling smileys. I wouldn't be a bit
surprised if those same smileys would do something meaningful in Perl6,
BTW.)