Subject: Re: standard MAN page format
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Wiz <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/17/2001 17:11:52
In article <200110121822.f9CIM7p15272@marajade.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca> you wrote:

>	> On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Michael Richardson wrote:
>     >> I think that we should introduce a new standard header: HOMEPAGE.
>     >> A URL could go under HISTORY instead I suppose.
[and later]
>   uh, the Makefile isn't installed with the pkg.
>   A *user* of a system may not even know about "pkg".
>   They just know that "man foo" tells them about the program.

I think the better answer is to educate your users in this case:
`pkg_info packagename' includes the Homepage URL.

If you want to have the homepage included in the man page, I think you
should take up this discussion with the groff maintainers.  There
actually is a .URL even in the groff in -current, but I think it's
only honored if you convert to HTML.

The problem is that we'd have to patch literally thousands of man
pages in pkgsrc, and I don't think that's realistic, or useful.

Bye,
 Thomas

--
Thomas Klausner - wiz@danbala.tuwien.ac.at
War is an instrument entirely inefficient toward redressing wrong; and