Subject: Re: Incorporating OpenBSD's nc [was Re: Proposal for new utility in
To: Eric Gillespie, Jr. <epg@pretzelnet.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/17/2001 18:09:06
On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Eric Gillespie, Jr. wrote:
> I've taken a look at this, and it's much better than my
> implementation.  If NetBSD were to ship an nc in base, it should
> be OpenBSD's.  They put it in /usr/bin, which is better than
> nothing, though i'd still rather have it in /bin.
>
> The only change necessary to make it work on NetBSD was changing
> it to use random(3) instead of arc4random(3).

I haven't followed discussion on this a lot, but assuming this won't get
added to the base system (and much less /bin), I suggest you send an
update for our pkgsrc/net/netcat package so we can benefit for this (and
maybe, if it's found really really useful, add it).

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html
Of course with your #1 IPv6 ready operating system -> http://www.NetBSD.org/