Subject: Re: stdio FILE extension
To: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/17/2001 00:53:42
...and just for the record, I guess I'm perpetually in kid-mode,
here.  Always learning.  Please don't take my protagonism as antagonism;
I'm not here to piss people off.

I do see reasons for not bumping the major number *right now*.

But someplace down the road, I think it would be a good idea to draw
a line.  Doesn't have to happen at every single release, no, obviously.

# The point of good system releases should be both new features and
# backwards compatibility. Not backwards compatibility necessarily to the Nth
# degree but needlessly breaking old binaries when there are other solutions
# (via symbol renaming, etc) that work in it's place IMO aren't worth the bad
# press/confusion that results from people who have gotten accustomed to old
# binaries "just working" on new system builds.
#
# James
#
#