Subject: Re: stdio FILE extension
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/16/2001 21:16:16
On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 11:50:57PM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

 >   One thing that I'd like to see is a warning from LD if I wind up attempting
 > the:
 > 	ld -o foo foo.o -llibbar -llibc.so.13
 >
 >   where libbar depends upon libc.so.12.

ELF has no way to do this -- I've already said why -- "libc.so.12" and
"libc.so.13" are DIFFERENT LIBRARIES as far as ELF is concerned.

 >   The reason *I* keep asking about the libc bump is because at some point we
 > *will* have to do it. I'm not saying that it will be fun, or desireable, but
 > the accumulated cruft will overcome the pain. Also, people doing certain
 > restricted environments (where they do not have any dependancies) may like to
 > get rid of the cruft.

No, I don't believe we will HAVE to do it.

Note we are not the only system to note this problem/issue -- Solaris has
had the same libc major number for ... a very long time, and uses a renaming
scheme similar to the one we use in its libc.