Subject: Re: stdio FILE extension
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Urban Boquist <urban@boquist.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/15/2001 11:51:15
> The last bump was a very, very, very long time ago, and was highly
> regretted -- so regretted that we've been scared of ever doing it
> again.

This kind of arguments isn't very helpful for NetBSD users that wasn't
part of that experience.

What would help, I think, is if someone could actually give a couple
of concrete examples of these so called "third party libraries". I've
seen this mentioned so many times, but have never seen anyone actually
say what libraries they are talking about.

I also think this problem needs to be put in comparison with the
trouble of having a libc that is an increasing maze of renamings and
the like. E.g., it is becoming more and more hard to compile NetBSD
without GCC.

Kind regards,

        -- Urban