Subject: Re: wrap up of pipe(2)
To: None <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/14/2001 12:28:13
> Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> > Do not remove EFAULT from the ERRORS section.
>
> Please tell why it should be kept in there.

We've been over this many times already, and there's no point in
repeating myself.

The bug is the "the foo() call will fail if" text, not the inclusion
of EFAULT.

Here's an additional consideration:

Currently, pipe(2) is implemented as a two-return-value syscall;
support for two-return-value syscalls currently imposes additional
overhead on *every* syscall, which slows down every syscall by a few
instructions.

One possible way to fix this would involve changing pipe(2) so it's a
"normal" syscall which *may* return EFAULT; other two-return-value
syscalls would also need to be changed.

						- Bill