Subject: Re: Proposal for new utility in base: bin/nc
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Gillespie, Jr. <epg@pretzelnet.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/12/2001 09:22:16
Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org> writes:

    > You didn't mention the licence on the software, so I made

Sorry, i assumed people would know i BSD-licensed it and assigned
copyright to The NetBSD Foundation since it's a new program
written with the express purpose of going into the base system.

    > I also read the documentation that came with it:

That's not any documentation that came with any tool i'm
proposing adding to the base system.  I suggest you look at what
i'm actually proposing rather than the tool that inspired it.

    > I'm still a bit mystified as to why you can't just carry
    > around a binary package, and install that as the first
    > thing you do after installing basesrc. Like I said, though,

That's currently what i do.  It's a pain in the ass though.  It
feels like having to carry ping around on a floppy.

    > I'm getting old, and don't understand why we should add
    > more software to the base system, when it's not obvious

This is the attitude i expected.  I understand that NetBSD is a
conservative project, and i think this is a good thing.  I still
have to try, though :).

    > what we would gain by it. I've installed software on a
    > number of fresh systems (not all i386) just recently, and
    > have found that scp, ftp, and a binary rio package were all
    > that I needed.

nc is not a file transfer program.

--
Eric Gillespie, Jr.