Subject: Re: utmp file format change
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: James Graham <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/05/2001 08:27:31
I think this is all making a mountain out of a molehill.  To me, the best
suggestion I have seen is the one which reflected keeping old utmp around
for deprecated backward compatibility, TO BE REMOVED IN A NEAR FUTURE
RELEASE, but building an API ({get,set,put,end}utent((utmp_cookie_t *)))
to be used immediately; this would give any third-party utmp-manglers
AT LEAST six months, if not more, to get their act together.

Any other process for doing this is going to be bloat.  We've already got
an amazing amount of bloat there as it is, what with retaining all the
backward compatibility to pre-1.0.  We must be the only OS on the face
of the planet to have an eleven-year backward-compatibility timespan!
This is insane.  I mean, yeah, it's a cool thing to be able to declare
that, but man, we're getting a little hefty around the midsection lately.