Subject: Re: pipe(2) and invalid fildes
To: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/01/2001 08:28:41
Charles M. Hannum wrote:
> > Well, EFAULT can't be returned by pipe(2) currently. So it seems
> > wrong to document it as possible return value in manpage.
>
> The key word here is "currently".  It may in the future.

I doubt it would. However, if it would, the manpage would be changed
accordingly. Why should we document EFAULT in pipe(2), and not
other errors never returned by pipe(2), like e.g.  ENXIO, ENOTDIR
or EACCES there?

The manpage states that EFAULT is returned by pipe(2) if fildes
buffer is in an invalid area of the process's address space.  That
is simply not true, and thus I think that sentense should be removed.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=*=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!