Subject: Re: utmp file format change
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/29/2001 21:54:17
> the only "problem" is that files aren't currently mount points.  i
> guess one could union mount a compat portal daemon over (under?)
> /var/log and /var/run...

Files can be mount points.  Or at least, mounted things can be files.
I discovered this the hard way while playing with filesystems once.
(That is, while I think maybe the underlying-filesystem node must be a
directory, the thing mounted does not have to be, once mounted.)

Indeed, it was just such things that made me submit PR 441.  I notice
fair added -R to umount some years later; cvs diff makes it look as
though the change came from an addendum I sent in to the PR some time
later, but who knows (or cares)....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign