Subject: Re: ROC timezone & politics?
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/23/2001 23:41:49
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Andrew Brown wrote:

> >> It seems they replace the ROC file with a link to Taipei. There's a
> >> "Taipei" file in the patch, and this is in the pkgmap:
> >>
> >> 1 f none usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/Asia/Taipei 0644 root bin 268 24632 983236083
> >> 1 l none usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/ROC=../../../../usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/Asia/Taipei
> >
> >Pointless. "ROC" is already a (hard) link to "Asia/Taipei".

Wait, I think I jumped to a conclusion here. I was reading that "l"
as a soft-link, but there's no reason to think that. Not that it
matters. (NetBSD uses hard links in /usr/share/zoneinfo).

> but it's a hard link to something that already exists, rather than
> existing of its own accord.  remember, this is politically motivated.
> it doesn't have to make sense to normal people.  ;-)

Well, I don't know what that means, but we have this already:

Link    Asia/Taipei             ROC

in sharesrc/zoneinfo/backward. "ROC" is evidently the old name for the
"Asia/Taipei" timezone.

Frederick