Subject: Re: default /dev/tty* mode and ownership
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/29/2001 10:28:26
On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:

: Users of group tty already have write access to all allocated ttys (when
: you log in, the tty is changed from 600 root/wheel to 620 `whoami`/tty.
:
: This modification would only change something for non allocated tty, and
: I wonder if allowing a member of group tty (that is, anyone through
: setgid programs such as talk) to write on a non allocated tty was a
: problem.

When did we switch to mode 600 for all unallocated ttys, including ptys?

(Ptys should be allocatable by any user, not just root.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/