Subject: updating to bzip2 1.0.1
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/11/2001 01:13:15
Folks,

We should update our bzip2 library to version 1.0.1.  There
are a couple of corner-cases fixes, as well as >4GB file
support in later versions.

However, the names of every API function changed between the 0.*
versions and the 1.* versions (the author of bzip2 now says he
wishes he hadn't done that :-).  We already have code in our
tree that uses the 0.* API (well, once program - gzip).  What
do people thing of using something like weak symbols to support
the old API so that we don't need to change existing code and or
bump the libbz2 shared library major version number?

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/